Magyaregregy lies on the northern edge of the picturesque East Mecsek in the Valley of the Blessed Woman, 30 km from the county seat. It can be reached from Komló or Bonyhád in Tolna County.
The name of the settlement can be first discovered in a diploma from 1554, at that time under the name Egregy, which was created from the older form of the alder tree, the shape of the sign distinguished it from the village settled in the neighboring valley in the 18th century from Németegregy.
The village with good air awaits visitors with a wonderful environment. The part between Magyaregregy and Zobákpuszta is largely a nature reserve, the characteristic plant of which is peony and lapu leaf. The village could rightly apply for the title of place located in the most beautiful surroundings of Baranya County.
The beauty of the region fascinated many scientists and writers, and they were able to stay, so Géza Gárdonyi visited during his visit in 1882. It was then that he decided that the opening scene of his upcoming novel "Stars of Eger" would take place on the outskirts of Magyaregregy.
The village has a population of 766, and due to its population and the size of its buildings, it belongs to the list of medium-sized villages in Baranya. The past is also evoked by máré castle towering above the village, which was built on the site of a Roman watchtower in gothic style in the 13th century. Charles donated Róbert to a glorious valiant as a reward. Ottoman troops were stationed in the former knight's castle during the Turkish occupation, and then stood unclaimed for centuries, until it was renovated in the 1960s to the delight of tourists. Máré Castle is one of the most popular places to visit in the county. In the castle you can see a permanent exhibition about the legend of the Eastern Mecsek and the history of the castle. In the valley below the castle there are camping opportunities. Here you can find the Máré inn and the cold water beach bath, which awaits those who want to bathe all summer long.
Along the tourist trails from the castle in several directions, you can see the Gypsy Mountain lookout tower resembling the Roman watchtower, Shepherd's Spring, Pusztabánya hunting lodge, reconstructed glass hut.
In the middle of the village is the Catholic Church of Mary with Calvary, which was built in 1799, the Holy Well in its courtyard is still a place of pilgrimage, it is believed that it brings healing to those who wash in its water. On the occasion of the miss day farewell on September 8, countless pilgrims visit our church every year.
In the 1970s, they bought the former pub building from the Arnold family, which was renovated in 1984, from the Arnold family, which was a restaurateur and butcher. Since then, it has functioned as a high-quality community centre of the village, and the library is also located here. In 1985, under the leadership of teacher Endréné Csernavölgyi, the village museum was established, in which the agricultural, household appliances, room equipment and school history monuments typical of Magyaregregy can be seen in the framework of a permanent exhibition, and the Butcher's Museum can also be found here.
The hospitality and kindness of the local inhabitants guarantees the perfect rest of the visitors to Magyaregregy, which satisfies all needs. Nearly a dozen inns, guesthouses, tourist houses, old farmhouses with porches and tastefully decorated rooms of modern buildings await all those who want to spend their holidays here.